With my field study in the back of my mind,I had created an google form for my new students to fill in with basic contact info that I use to collect on paper. I gave them a tour of the Riverside website and showed them how to find today's "assignment". It was really simple with answers they should know and at the end I gave them the option of sharing any additional information with me that they thought I should know. Its 10:30 pm and my curiosity got the better of me so I went into my google account to see just how many kids had completed the survey. At this point 40 out of 100 students have completed it. I'm fairly pleased with this ... especially since I don't see them again until Friday so they still have tomorrow night to finish this off. Of the 40, only one indicated that they don't have a computer at home ... which totally impresses me as they got creative and were able to complete the survey some how. Many kids took the opportunity to write a paragraph about themselves or their view of math, things they struggle with etc. That is making me feel rather optimistic about my plans for the field study!
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've now taken down the contact information survey and in the end 24 students did not fill it in which means that 82 did! And to be honest a few of the 24 were students who were dropped into my class after the first week. I will definitely be using this again next year!
ReplyDeleteOn top of that I have set up something similar with my daughter's school to collect phone numbers and emails for the class parents. The principal gave me permission to embed the form on their sharepoint and it has been well received!