- given students a list of concepts that we are covering in this first unit
- given frequent short skills checks (aka quizzes) I am including an assessment on the back where they indicated where they think they are in terms of their mastering and then I give them feedback and my opinion after checking their work
- NO marks of any sort are recorded on skills checks
- I have borrowed a mark recording sheet from Lisa to record mastery scores (thanks for sharing!)
- students have had the opportunity to reassess or "challenge" a concept during a scheduled class block
- have posted all the mastery scores online (www.engrade.ca) and have weighted everything to zero so that there is no % reported. This way everyone is focused on the information that is there.
At this point there are a few key things that I'm noticing. First, when I returned the first skills check, students actively helped each other and at the end of class there was NOT ONE crumpled up paper on the floor for me to pick up. In the past when a score was recorded on the assessment, it wasn't long before someone who did quite poorly had crushed and had personally turned off. The confirmation that they were "dumb" once again. It was so neat to see everyone working together to figure things out.
I have a few students who had told me that in middle school they always wrote their tests in the learning center - to say they experienced test anxiety was an understatement. After the first skills check (when I asked them to stay) they realized that the assessments weren't given to punish them, just to get a snapshot of what they had mastered. They'd have another chance (and another and another ...) if they wanted it. So now when a student arrives after an absence and we are writing a skills check, there is no panic in their eyes! So far attendance on assessment days has been quite good.
With this particular group I choose to schedule an in class "challenge" time with the option of seeing me outside of class time if they wanted. Students were given a print out of their current mastery level per concept and signed up for a challenge the following week. Each was required to have some proof that they had figured something out before rewriting. This first time had seven students challenge and all but two were able to improve their standing. Nice!
As I get further into this I'm finding that the reporting of the information broken down by concepts so incredibly informative for both me and the students that I've started doing something similar in my math 9 classes. Even though I'm not officially introducing SBG here (at least this year), when I'm recording information about skills checks in these classes I have ended up breaking down the assessment into core concepts. Now when a parent asks me what their son or daughter needs help with .... I can provide them with much more useful feedback.
I like that assessments DON'T have to be skills checks or tests. The other day I had a challenge question involving adding decimals and presented it in a "draw" format where all the kids submitted their answer and then I drew out papers until I had a winner (who received a pen as a prize). Everyone had fun and I had a quick assessment that I could record in my mark book.
Down sides: time, reassessment preparation, extra practice and the eventual conversion to some sort of grade. Currently I'm finding that I'm spending a lot more time marking assessments - and then recording the data. I'm just thankful that there are only 20 kids in this class! If all 4 of my classes were involved I might be a bit more overwhelmed. I seem to be only one step ahead of the kids in the area of reassessments - I'm waiting for the day a student approaches me and asks to challenge one that I don't have created and I'll do it on the fly. Ideally students would locate some sort of extra practice to do but since we work without a textbook, I'm feeling like I am responsible for providing this for them. This is taking LOTS of time and I really need to create a list of websites that they can go to for the extra practice rather than creating it myself. The last issue is that of grades. I'm concerned that as November approaches, I will have yet to come up with a nice clean way to determine a grade for the report card. I had asked my principal if I could opt out of reporting a % as long as I wrote a full anecdotal on where they are at. He indicated that I was required by the ministry to give a grade so I guess that is what will happen ... somehow. I may involve the students in the determination of this mark - we'll see.
All in all this has been one of the most exciting adventures in my classroom that I've embarked on in a long time. Its so cool to be able to refocus kids on what they are learning, rather than on the score at the top of a page.



The grade sheet was from me. (@Mrs_LHenry)
ReplyDeleteNice work!
Thanks Lisa for reminding me! I've received so much help from others that I had lost track of what came from whom. Thank you for sharing it, it has helped a great deal in keeping all the assessments organized. Hope your year is going well :)
ReplyDeleteHi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteYour implementation story first of all sounds like you're on a good path, and it's also given me some things to think about. I'm also doing SBG, and since my school doesn't give grades at all, I'm also not putting scores on the quizzes I hand back. It's been an interesting experience and I'm still figuring things out, but really feel like the whole thing is helping kids to learn and empowering them.
Is that mark recording sheet available somewhere? I'd like to try it on for size.
Thanks, and yay!
Justin
Hi Justin,
ReplyDeleteThanks for you comment. Wow, working in a school that gives no marks at all ... guess that means you write lots of anecdotals then! I'm sure hoping that this change in assessment makes a difference for students - especially the ones that I'm dealing with that have had some challenging years prior to getting to me. I'm hoping to see them take more responsibility for their learning but I'm thinking that they may take longer to respond to it all due to their previous experiences. Guess we'll have to wait and see!
Lisa (above) has kindly shared her file with me here: http://www.box.net/shared/u9g15ilxf4 . You should check out her blog when you have a chance :)